So we left off with a store that is up and running and literally ready to start earning you money. However that alone will usually not be enough to get you sales. Next on our agenda on how to build an online store we want to polish your site. There will be a few key pages that need to be added, as well as some apps to make the user experience all the more better, plus all the more enticing to buy your products!
1. First off let’s adjust some of the Checkout Options. From your Shopify dashboard, click on settings. From settings, click on Checkout. Here you can do a few things such as customize your checkout by adding your store logo. That is not necessary but if you want to do so, simply click on customize check out, and upload your logo. Under Customer Accounts, I suggest circling in the section that says, “Accounts Are Optional”. This is up to you though and your preferences. Me personally, I like this because it allows people to set up an account if they so choose, but it is not mandatory. I prefer this over “accounts disabled” because people who create an account are obviously potential future/repeat customers as opposed to those who do not and could possibly slip away for good. At the same time I prefer this over “accounts are required” because you could lose a potential sale or two or more, when some people simply want to check out as guest and not create an account.
Oberlo enables thousands of people to runtheir dropshipping stores with ease. Every account starts with a free trial of our Pro Plan. Try it today and start selling products right away!
3. Now we want to make sure shipping and taxes are set up according to our preferences. Now in this drop shipping hustle, you have a few options. You of course will have to pay taxes on money earned. However you can either incorporate that charge into the product price already or you can do standard taxes which are added on during checkout. In your dashboard, go to “Settings”. And under settings, go to “Taxes”. From there if you choose to have your prices already inclusive of what you calculate for taxes, then check off the box that says, “All taxes are included in my prices”. Those of you who want the tax added during checkout will need to look at the “Tax Rates” section. From there click “United States” (or whatever respective country you are based out of). Under “Country Tax Rate”, choose the option “Depends on County”. This will allow for taxes to be applied based on the specific tax rate charged per county. And then under the section, “Rest Of World”, decide for yourself an appropriate tax amount. I personally chose 7.75% as that is a near median ( I just guesstimated) rate within the country of The United States. Don’t forget to press SAVE when you’re done.
4. On to the shipping preferences. From your dashboard click on “Settings”. From settings, click on “Shipping”. Now if you are following along step by step, and using the Oberlo App then you will not be paying shipping for these products, as you will be importing them with the “e-packet” option. However you can decide whether to pass down a shipping charge or not down to your customers. There would be a few reasons why you would want to do this. Perhaps you already have your product priced so low, that an additional shipping charge will help to create profit. Either way, if you decide to add shipping, then you need to edit your “shipping zones”. First domestic. Choose the region, country, and decide for yourself if you want it to be weight based or price based. It truly depends on what you’re selling. However if you’re doing t-shirts, clothing, etc. I would suggest just picking a standard price, something like $6.95 for shipping. And then I would go on to set up a free shipping section for orders over a certain amount. My store, I put free shipping for all items, as I know many customers are put off by having to pay for shipping. From there you would also do the same in the “Rest Of World” shipping zone. Save your work.
5. Now let’s add a few apps and polish your site up. Go to the dashboard and click on “apps”. This section is represented by a puzzle piece. From there click on the blue button that says, “Visit Shopify App Store”. Search for “easy contact form”. Download that app and follow the instructions. Another app I like to add, is the “BEST Currency Converter” app. This app does so much for the free version. It allows you up to 5 different currencies which can be used on your site. This means more money for you my friend because not everyone online will be spending money through your domestic currency. Next add the “Find It Quick Shipping Network” app. This app will automatically list your items into the Find It Quick Shipping Network. This is more exposure for your site and your products.
6. Shopify now allows for you to communicate to your customers through Facebook Messenger. If you haven’t already added Messenger to your Sales Channels, do so by clicking the “+” sign next to SALES CHANNELS. Where it says Messenger, click the blue button that says, “Learn More”. Follow those instructions and make sure you place the “Message Us” button on the opposite side of where your “contact us” button is. This is to make sure website usability is at it’s most effective possible state. If the two buttons are on top of each other (which I see in many stores) it can be frustrating for the user (customer).
Now your site is polished and has everything it needs to look professional and start earning you money, NOW! ON the next section we will discuss SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and Social Media, and how to use those platforms to your advantage.